Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Opinion on the New Advanced Imaging Technology in Airports

I went through the new Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) this week and, for what it's worth, I wanted to weigh in on the debate on their use.

To be completely honest, I don't love them. While I have read the TSA information on their safety and privacy I am not entirely convinced. Pilot and flight attendant organizations have spoken out against their use due to concerns over radiation doses. While the radiation doses for passengers being screen is below the dose limits specified by the American National Standards Institute (http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/safety.shtm) there are concerns from the pilot and flight attendant organization over their repeated exposure to these machines. While I will not pass through AIT as often as a pilot or flight attendant, I will pass through more often than the occasional traveler.

The privacy piece concerns me as well. TSA has taken measures to ensure the privacy of passengers such as "the officer who assists the passenger never sees the image the technology produces. The officer who views the image is remotely located in a secure resolution room and never sees the passenger" (http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/privacy.shtm).  Additionally, according to the website, these officers are not allowed to bring photo-enabled devices into the resolution room.  However I don't trust people to abide be these rules. There have already been issues of machines storing these images (http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20012583-281.html) some of which were recently published online (http://gizmodo.com/5690749/these-are-the-first-100-leaked-body-scans).  Additionally there have already been instances of screeners acknowledging and teasing over (in this case colleagues) these images (http://politifi.com/news/Airport-security-screener-arrested-for-retaliating-over-penis-size-jokes-719517.html).

So with all of that said hopefully you can see why I don't necessarily love the AIT. However I also don't love: limiting my liquids, needing to pack my liquids in a separate bag, taking my shoes off and walking barefoot through the security gate, taking my laptop out of my bag, (getting stuck behind someone who doesn't realize all of these things are mandatory), etc. On the other hand I recognize the importance of those security measures, including the AIT. As times, technology and terrorists change our security systems need to change as well. As evidenced by the so called "underwear" bomber last Christmas, metal detectors are simply not enough to prevent an attempted attack. I'm willing to walk through the AIT if it means having some level of safety on my flight.

I understand that there are those who do not want to be subjected to the AIT or "enhanced" pat-downs for personal, religious or privacy reasons and I respect their decisions. However I don't feel there should be any allowances made in security. If passengers are uncomfortable with these new (and well publicized) security measures there are other modes of transportation available.

So those are my thoughts. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment