Monday, November 29, 2010

Not a story I really want to tell...

Because it's embarrassing!!

But I figured - I talk about the good, I might as well talk about the bad.

This morning was an all around fail. First of all I was up at 5:15am - that's always a fail. I tried to get cash out of the ATM in my building but it wasn't working and wouldn't read my card. I tried to print my boarding pass and could not get the business center printers to work. I thought my luck was turning around when I got the airport just fine, through security with no problems (and no AIT or pat down) and safely to Boston. But that was not the case...

When I got to Hertz I found my name right away on the #1 Club Gold board and my car was (seemingly) right in front of me. I was excited to get a Nissan Morano because I like to drive bigger cars but rarely get to.  It wasn't until I got to the exit that I realized...it wasn't my car! There was a different name on the paperwork. At first I just thought someone made a mistake and put the wrong car in my spot. I even confirmed that my name was still scrolling on the marquee above the car. Unfortunately that spot already had a new car in it and I had to go inside to figure out what happened...

Apparently, what happened was I took the wrong car! The sign between 5 & 7 was sort of in between the 2 stalls and I picked the wrong one.

But I figured I was back on track and not too worried because I had over 3 hours to drive 2 hours.

Almost immediately after leaving the parking lot I came up to the toll. And not just any toll but a $3.25 toll. Usually I get an EZ Pass type product and the tolls just show up on my credit card. Unfortunately this time I didn't (what they call) a PlatePass this time. I had to roll up to the toll both and explain I had no cash. Apparently you can get an envelope and mail the toll in.

Ok - fine. I'm back on the road. Won't have to pay a fine as long as I get my toll in the mail in the next 2 weeks. Still have plenty of time to get to the hospital....

Until...I miss my exit! And start heading into Boston instead of away from it. To correct my mistake I had to go through (and not pay) another toll. Fortunately at this point I was able to stop a gas station and get cash, take a breath and get going on my way (for good this time).

This experience did not do anything to help my dislike of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment