Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hey buddy, what's in the cooler??

I'm always amazed at what people use for their carry-ons. I routinely see shopping bags, duffels, the occasional grocery bag/ikea bag, cardboard boxes, etc. Today someone carried on a cooler (the plastic, not Styrofoam kind), sealed with a serious masking tape job, on to my flight to Manchester, NH. And not a small, little lunch box size, cooler but a bigger, take out on a boat, kind of cooler. In fact, he couldn't fit it under a seat. Fortunately, for him, the flight was fairly empty and it was wedged between seats.

I spent a good portion of the flight wondering what was in the cooler. Food? Some kind of DC delicacy? Half-smokes? Maybe he originated elsewhere, so the food could be anything. Drinks? Some kind of body part/organ donation? Fish (He looked like he could have just rolled off a boat)?

I did ask the guy what was in the cooler, and it was none of those things. Apparently he had been asked this question all day. Other ideas from the Gate Attendants in Texas (where he originated) included lobster (although why you would fly lobster from Texas to New England is beyond me) and beer (again, who flies beer as a carry on? how would you even do that? I don't know of any beer sold in 3oz bottles).

Any other ideas what someone might carry on in a cooler? I'll fill you in tomorrow...

Update: a motor. Dude had a motor in his cooler. Apparently he picked up a motor for his kid motorbike or go cart or something like that and tried to ship it back home but none of the shipping companies were open on Sunday so he picked up a cooler instead. It was kind of a let down for me that it wasn't something that necessitated staying cool... 

No comments:

Post a Comment