Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I can't decide...

if this job is good or bad for my personal expenses. There are definitely positives. If I'm traveling I basically incur no personal expenses. My meals are expensed on my company card and I avoid any personal expenses I would have otherwise had if I was home (things generally associated with a personal life such as happy hours, dinners with friends, etc).

On the other hand, when I am home, it is usually only for a few days and then I travel again. As such I, lately, very rarely go to the grocery store or purchase anything perishable (you know, like chicken, fruit, veggies...the healthy stuff). Instead I'm supplementing with one-off purchases. Yesterday I ran to Trader Joe's (very luckily located around the corner from my office) and purchased a few ready made lunches. Fortunately TJs (as it is affectionately known) is fairly reasonably priced but still more expensive than if I had made my own lunch. Breakfast is another issue. Yesterday I paid $6.82 for a latte and a breakfast sandwich at Starbucks. In an effort to be more fiscally responsible today I ran into a sandwich shop/market near my office and grabbed a 1/2 pint of milk...and paid $1.53! I can get 1/2 gallon for $1.94 at CVS!! I think this purchase bothered me more than the expensive Starbucks purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment