Thursday, June 9, 2011

Making the most of (someone else's) bad situation

Just got home from a 2 day trip to New Hampshire. Fortunately for me I landed before not 1 but 2 different flights I was booked on were even supposed to take off!

I was originally scheduled to leave out of Manchester at 5:10 anticipating a long day of meetings. Due to a variety of reasons we ended up only having one, 10am, meeting. Unfortunately there are no earlier, direct, flights from Manchester to DC so I switched to a flight from Boston where the shuttle leaves hourly. I contemplated booking the 2pm but went for the 3pm. I figured it would be easier to switch to an earlier flight than deal with having missed a flight. I former colleague of mine "gifted" me Silver status on US Airways so I would have been able to switch for free if changed my Frequent Flier number from my United number to my US Airways number. I am generally reticent to do that because I prefer my miles and segments go to my United account for status and possible future vacations. But in this case, I was ready to get home!

As usual it took me less time to get to Boston as I thought it would. I always anticipate a 2 hour ride and it's closer to 90 minutes. So I rushed to get to the terminal where Agent told me it would be faster to print out my 3pm ticket, get through security and then change my flight.

When I finally got through security and to the gate I not only was able to get on an earlier flight, but a much earlier flight. Apparently the 1pm had been delayed and was going to be leaving momentarily. One the one hand I felt bad for those who had been sitting there, on the other, I love when I'm able to walk right onto a flight with no wasted time sitting around. Not only that, but they were moving passengers up for free because they anticipated thunderstorms and delays for the 3pm flight. I was able to get to DCA just before 3pm and home not long after that.

1 comment: