Thursday, January 20, 2011

I love a good restaurant recommendation

Unfortunately, not all of them are good!

My colleague passed along a few restaurant recommendations for Des Moines the other day, one of which I went to last night (thank you Davina). My colleague spent his night with family in town and I needed to eat so I went to Centro, a restaurant downtown for dinner. It is an Italian restaurant with a nice atmosphere and good wine list.

I was the awkward person eating alone in a corner - but the food was good.

Since I was eating alone, that gave me ample time to eavesdrop on others...one of the things I noticed is that someone at the table next to me ordered a margarita with dinner. Now I like tequila as much as the next girl (and probably more) but when you're eating Italian...why do you order a marg???

Today during one of our client meeting we solicited additional restaurant recommendations. There were 2 restaurants that were clearly the favorites, one of which was the one I went to last night.  My colleague and I decided to to try the other restaurant tonight, Latin King.

Now when you hear the name Latin King - what kind of food would you anticipate?

Italian right? Clearly Latin King screams Italian.

Let's just say the food tonight did not live up to the food yesterday and leave it at that.

2 comments:

  1. Um excuse me. According to The Des Moines Business Record, Tursi's Latin King won "Best Restaurant for a Business Lunch" in August, 1997 and was a repeat winner in August 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the background research that went into that comment.

    However I would consider it a bigger issue when the best thing they have to say about their restaurant is from 7 years ago. And they're still touting the award from 14 years ago!

    ReplyDelete