Monday, February 14, 2011

Going to bootcamp once a month might do more harm than good

As much I enjoy my job, and the travel that is part of it, there are few things that fall by the wayside, especially lately. One of those things is fitness (the other being a social life). I used to do these bootcamps 2 to 3 times a week at 6am in the morning. I love the high-energy, high-impact, ass-kicking work outs. I'm just not a pilates kind of girl (just a personal preference, no judging here).

In December I put my membership on hold for a month. I knew I had a busy schedule, would be traveling and was going home for 2 weeks. Since then I've only been back to bootcamp twice! Part of that is definitely my fault. It's really hard to get up at 5:45 when you worked late the night before and will likely be working late the next day (and it is freezing outside). But part of it is definitely the work and travel schedule.

I'm not sure that going once a month is worth it! In fact I think it might do more harm than good. I'm trying to get myself back to the gym more often or work it into my day when I'm traveling. But 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer is just not the same as an hour getting yelled at to do more push-ups (and lunges and squats and sprints and crunches, etc). I was sore for days last month. I'm going to be sore for days this month. Which is fine but not going to be all that helpful for any longer term results or endurance.

I'm going to keep trying (mostly because I'm still going to be paying for it)! I think I can go back next Friday. Maybe I'll make it twice this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment