Friday, February 25, 2011

What would you do? (POLL to the right --> )

Let's take a poll.

Often when I book my travel I struggle with what the "best" option would be. Or sometimes what is the "least bad" option. My travel yesterday was one example and I'm not sure I ended up with the best option. So now it's your turn to decide. What would you have done? I've laid out the options below and there is a poll to the right. Tell me which option you would book!

Parameters:
  • Meetings end at 12:15
  • 15 minute drive to the Des Moines airport (DSM)
  • 3 hour drive to Kansas City airport (MCI)
  • 15 minute, 15 dollar, taxi from Reagan-National (DCA)
  • 45 minute, 60 dollar, taxi from Dulles (IAD)

Variables:
  • The last meeting of the day may very well run over
  • Weather (always a factor this time of year)
  • I have status on Delta & United

Options:

A. DSM to ATL to DCA leaving at 5:50pm and arriving at 11:28pm on Delta (4h 38m)

B. MCI to DCA leaving at 4:05pm arriving at 7:25pm on US Airways (2h 20m)

C. MCI to IAD leaving at 5:54pm arriving 9:15pm on United (2h 20m)

D. MCI to DCA leaving at 7:15pm arriving at 10:30pm on Frontier (2h 20m)

2 comments:

  1. I would fly economy direct (DSM or MCI) before I'd fly via Atlanta during evening rush hour. The potential for upgrade just isn't worth the cluster that's Harstfield. I'd go for option C--even if your meeting runs 1.5 hrs late, you should still be fine, knowing your airport security skills. And you're not paying for the cab, who cares how much it costs! AND you have status on United. Bam.

    ReplyDelete