Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What is a rabe?

I don't think I realized, until this weekend, that people don't know what broccoli rabe is. Growing up in my Italian family I always assumed everyone had sauteed broccoli rabe at dinner. Granted when I growing up I refused to eat said broccoli rabe, but I knew it was there.

Apparently it's not a common dinner side dish? Who knew!

This hit home for me this weekend when I made Red Wine Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage. I also served it with Stuffed Artichokes and Garlic Bread. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off as  I prepped this meal so I'm lacking in photographic evidence. Fortunately Jenny stepped in and snapped a few.

 Early in the day when I was less frantic I prepped my veggies.
 And cooked up the sausage early to throw in with the pasta. I blanched the artichokes and sat them out to dry.
 I mixed up a stuffing of bread crumb, cheese, parsley, (lots of) garlic and black pepper.
 Stuffed artichokes ready to go into the oven!
 Annnd stuffed artichokes out of the oven. I love these suckers. I need to start making them more frequently.
 Also - garlic bread.
 My friends snacked on the garlic bread and stuffed artichokes while I finished up the pasta. Fortunately I always over cook! The guest list crept up to 7 people and I still have leftovers.  I think 7 might be the max I can have over in my current apartment before we run out of dishes!
 Possibly one of my favorite things ever. Olive oil, garlic and pepperoncino crushed red pepper.
 Pasta boiling up in red wine
This is where my pictures end. Eventually the broccoli rabe and sausage get together with the red wine pasta and even into a serving bowl.

Update: How could I be so remiss as not to mention the dessert Jenny so deliciously provided!

Our group benefited from Jenny's excess buttermilk situation in the form of a Blueberry Buttermilk Cake. She even went above and beyond to top with a buttermilk glaze. 

My cakes never come out this easily!


Delicious!


***Also***
Did you notice I added a new page to my blog?  The Road Trip 2011 page has the details for my October road trip. I still very much need recommendations! I'll be updating the page as I receive recommendations.

2 comments:

  1. not to brag, but there was also some tasty blueberry buttermilk cake.

    ReplyDelete