Sunday, January 20, 2013

Because you can't stop at 6.93...

So as I mentioned yesterday my cousin and I decided to attempt a 10k as our Saturday workout.  I found a 6.2 mile run already mapped out on mapmyrun.com which started at my cousin's house and has us running through the District. This was the route we set out to do:
This is the route we actually ran:
In general we stuck pretty closely to the route.  It was beautiful day and in just a few miles got to see quite a bit of DC.  We ran past embassies, ambassador's houses, the Vice-President's residence, through residential, urban and historical areas. Turns out it's really difficult to follow a route on your phone while running though so there was a detour or two. It all worked out in our favor because it actually pushed us to run 7 miles.  I contemplated walking at 6.5 and doing the last 1/2 mile as a cool down but I'm really happy I pushed through that. (Dad, before you say anything, we did do a cool down/stretch but I turned the GPS tracking off for that).

We certainly didn't set any speed records but I'll take an average 10:00/mile.  Also, that last mile or so was all uphill. Oh, and these are just my times. Vic had to show me up and sprint up the last hill. We got back to Vic's house with 6.93 miles behind us, so clearly couldn't stop until we hit an even 7.


It was definitely a challenge but I was pretty happy with the pay off. (Although a little bitter Vic burned more than 300 calories more than me!)
Blackened Tilapia Tacos at Surfside!

No comments:

Post a Comment