Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bike ride to nowhere

So apparently winter decided to show up this year. I was so hoping it wouldn't...

On Tuesdays I have two classes, 1:00pm to 3:00pm and 5:00pm to 7:30pm.  I despise ending class at 7:30 but really love the 2 hour break between classes. It's just enough time to get to the gym, workout, shower, change and get back to class. Today I had initially thought to run but after my 7 mile run this weekend and some residual pain in my foot, I decided to bike.

I would much prefer running/biking outside but since it was about 20 degrees today, not including the wind chill, that was definitely out of the question.  I'm kind of conflicted about the whole gym biking situation.  Definitely nice to be out of the cold and I try to still challenge myself with the workout by choosing a relatively high intensity level and selecting a random or hill course.  At the same time I feel like it cannot possibly be as effective as a road biking workout.

On the other hand, I'm so busy right now (2 independent contractor consulting positions, a Graduate Assistant position, school, training, occasionally actually attempting a social life, etc) I like that the gym workouts allow me to multitask. Today I was able to get a decent amount of reading down.  But of course, I have to imagine when you're splitting your focus like that, it's only further taking away from the quality of the training.

Although, I just went back and looked at some of my past bike workouts and my average speed today was on par with previous, flatter, rides (12mph).

Who knew one workout could cause so many conflicting emotions??

PS Please vote in the poll on the right hand side of the blog! Love the Facebook updates? Hate the Facebook updates? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment