Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Learning to like running

I have always been vehemently anti-running. Growing up on the beach my sisters, friends and I always participated in Junior Lifeguards. I used to tell my instructors I was sick to get out of running at least once a week (to be fair, running on sand is hard)!

When I was in high school and on the field hockey team we were required to run an 8 minute mile. I ran past those same instructors, years later, on the boardwalk. They were so shocked they stopped what they were doing, dropped what they were holding and started clapping. That hockey season was probably the last time I ran. And even then, once we reached an 8 minute mile we didn't have to run laps in practice any more, plus I was the sweeper so I didn't have to run the field quite as much. (And I got to tell the defensive players what to do, pretty much my dream sports position).

So flash forward almost 10 years, my cousin suggests a triathlon and I find myself agreeing. I was fine with the idea of biking and swimming but the running had me scared. In early December, when we were still just contemplating this, I decided to attempt running a 5K to see if I even could!
I can't believe I stopped at 599 calories!
Turns out I could! And no, it didn't take me more than an hour to run 3.1 miles, I felt so good after my run I ended up doing another 30 minutes on the elliptical.

Since then I've run quite a few times and increased my runs from 3 miles to 4 or 5 and most recently 7. Not only that, I've almost even enjoyed them.  It's helps that I'm incredibly fortunate enough to run past some great views.

I particularly enjoyed running along the beach (note, not on the sand because again, that's hard) while I was home for the holidays.


And DC offers it's own impressive views (if you just tilt your head a bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment