Saturday, March 12, 2011

I am not a crafty person...

Fortunately I have friends that are! Namely Jenny and my high school friend Margaret.  Margaret has a blog that details all of her crafty projects including some "how tos". In a recent post, $10 DIY Headboard, Margaret created a headboard. I've been without a headboard for at least a year and half (potentially edging up on 2 years) and Margaret's post inspired me (/provided the kick in the ass I needed) to get myself a headboard.

I asked (forced) Jenny to join the project and dragged her to multiple different stores today to get the necessary supplies. I wasn't able to pull it together for $10 but it was pretty reasonable and I got to completely customize it.

We took pieces of foam poster board and Jenny traced out the shape. We hot glued the poster board together and followed it up with some (clear) masking tape.

We used straight pins to attach the batting and followed that up with the fabric. I choose a dark brown linen, both because I liked the color and fabric but definitely also because it was 40% off (as was the batting).
The (almost) finished product! (Please note - Jenny is smirking because as I'm taking this picture I'm stepping on the container of straight pins)

We used twine to trim the headboard. To make it a little more interesting we doubled up on the twine and twisted it (and by we...I mean Jenny).

Hi Jenny!
And here is the finished, finished project.

Many thanks to Jenny & Margaret!

1 comment:

  1. dear internet,

    i got paid back for smirking at allie for stepping on the pins...i did the same thing minutes later. also, i am not, in fact, pregnant, despite the fact that i look like it in those last few shots.

    ps-i was in no way coerced. in fact, i think i bounced up and down a little when allie asked me "want to help with a craft project?"

    ReplyDelete