Monday, March 28, 2011

A very delicous whirlwind

This weekend was a whirlwind! A very delicious whirlwind! Friday night Jenny made a delicious Thai shrimp dish in the Littler Kitchen that Does Okay. This was our third Friday night dinner and next week is my turn! I'm planning to introduce Jenny to the wonderful world of scallops. Right now I'm thinking some sort of risotto (potentially butternut squash) and scallops but I'm open to suggestions.

More to come on Saturday's adventure in the next few days. Saturday night we made our version of burrito bowls which I may or may not have eaten for lunch on Sunday and for dinner tonight. (Note: "our version" is significantly healthier than Chipotle's with white meat chicken, reduced fat sour cream and cheese and brown rice...or at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Sunday was all about the food. Jenny came over around 1pm for lunch we didn't leave the kitchen until we sat down for dinner closer to 7pm. Jenny made Rosemary Olive Oil bread, Bolognese Sauce and Tiramisu. I slacked and just made gnocchi.

I had never made gnocchi before and was kind of intimidated but it was easier than I thought it would be! Definitely time consuming, but less so than making regular pasta. 

I roasted the potatoes at 400 for about 70 minutes until soft. Once the potatoes were done I removed from the oven and peeled the skins off.
After removing the skins I mashed the potatoes with my newly purchased masher. (The recipe called for pressing the potatoes through a ricer but I figured the masher would get slightly more use beyond the gnochhi).
After mashing I spread the potato mixture on a floured surface and drizzled an egg plus egg yoke and tsp of salt over it, followed by about a cup of flour.
I mixed all the ingredients together and continued to add small amounts of flour until no longer sticky. 
I divided the log of dough into eighths (the recipe called for fourths but I don't have that much counter space!) and rolled the dough. It's like play-doh for grown ups!
The last step is to cut the rolls into 1 inch pieces and place on a floured baking pan. The gnocchi can sit for up to 2 hours before cooking. 

Don't be fooled by the tulips on the table. It's not spring here. It snowed here this weekend!

Dinner was delicious and was the perfect opportunity to break in my new serving bowls and carafe.

Head over to the Little Kitchen that Could for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment