Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quarterly Status Update

With the first quarter of the year wrapping up (um...can you believe we are 25% finished with 2011??) I decided to spot check my progress towards achieving status at the various airlines and hotels I frequent.

3 months into 2011 and I'm pretty darn close to where I ended 2010! I'm only 6 flights short of securing Premier (the first level of) status on United (my primary airline) from 2012. I would be even closer but I moved a few flights on US Airways from my United frequent flier number to my US Airways number to be able to change flights without paying change fees.

This year I have status on United, Delta and US Airways, whereas last year I had status on United for about 3 weeks!  I can't take too much credit for achieving status on Delta and US Airways because colleagues or friends "gifted" me status on those airlines. I rarely use the US Airways status (except as noted above) but the Delta status has come in very handy as they are the only airline with a direct flight from DC to Des Moines. I've been flying more and more Delta but worry that I'm not going to fly them enough to secure status for 2012 and will just be losing miles and segments that would have otherwise gone to United.  

I'm also seeing a change in my hotel patterns. In 2010 I stayed primarily at Starwood hotels, largely, I think, because that was the chain of choice among my colleagues in my previous department. Hilton is definitely more pervasive in my current department. It's also easier to find Hilton's at some of the rando places I travel.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of 2011 shakes out and where I land with status at the end of the year. On the one hand, higher levels of status would mean more upgrades, greater perks and faster points accrual. On the other hand, having a social life is nice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment