Monday, March 14, 2011

Nice idea...in theory...

TSA seems to have updated their signage recently and there is a proliferation of these notices at airports through which I travel. In addition to the larger signs which detail the difference between "Casual Traveler" and "Expert Traveler" there are signs which would lead you to believe there are different lanes for said types of travelers. A very nice idea in theory. If I was a first time traveler it might be nice to have a lower pressure lane to go through without feeling harassed by the person behind me in a rush or where someone took more time explaining procedures. As a business traveler it would be great to have "express" option.
But this is where the theoretical meets the actual and the idea fails for a number of reasons:
  • Many airports are too small for multiple lines so I just see these signs randomly placed throughout the screening area, essentially rendering them meaningless
  • There is no one policing these lines. What is to keep a family with multiple children and stroller out of the "Expert Traveler" line? If I was a casual traveler I would want to get behind the speedier business folk.
  • People do not self-select well. My idea of an "expert traveler" might not be the same as the person next to me in line (or apparently even the same as TSA's definition...twice a month? try twice a week!)
  • The expert traveler line might very well be duplicative anyway. Many airports (especially the larger ones who might actually use these signs) have priority lines for members of frequent flyer programs (one of the listed characteristics of a "expert traveler"), rendering the expert traveler line useless.
  • And all of this is going to go right out the window the second someone is running behind for a flight. You can bet if I'm running behind and the "Casual Traveler" line looks like - I'm going to be in it! Maybe that's the answer? Could we have lanes for folks who arrive 30 minutes before their flight, 60 minutes before their flight, 90 minutes before? Although if I arrived early to a flight only to find my line was really long while people who showed up late were able to sail through I would be super frustrated.  I don't know. (Believe or not) I don't have all the answers.
All that being said...I really wish these were a viable option some days!

Also I really love the signs for their reference to skiing.

2 comments:

  1. I rarely travel twice a month, and I can still get my shoes/coat/scarf off and my liquids/laptop out with (what i consider) lightning speed. I'd totally be sneaking into the expert line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe there should be a test? Like the one you had to take to swim in the deep end as a kid?

    ReplyDelete