Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I have never wanted to move so badly in my entire life!


So I had my first MRI today.  It really wasn't that bad in retrospect but in the moment, I was feeling pretty miserable. I am not someone who sits still well on a good day.  I'm always amazed by those people who can be still.  I am constantly crossing and uncrossing my legs, crossing one leg over the other and then switching, changing how my arms are positioned, etc.  I always worry I'm driving the person next to me a little bit crazy.

When I was college I used to donate platelets which involved IVs in both arms for about 2 hours.  I remember that being uncomfortable as well and constantly wishing I could scratch my nose. But in that case, while longer, I was usually watching a movie of my choice and could move, minimally, if necessary.  With the MRI I knew the name of the game was to be still. I really didn't want to prolong or repeat the test so I asked the tech to strap my foot in extra tight.  Poor strategy on my part, my foot fell right asleep!

So with the MRI it wasn't so much a need to scratch my nose but just an incessant desire to move any part of my foot coupled with the sheer bored of having nothing to look at and the headache inducing noise of the MRI while also attempting to listen to the radio.  It will all be worth it though if the test explains the pain in my foot!

Also, as with everything, perspective in life is everything. I requested a copy of my MRI and as I was waiting for the CD a gentleman came out of his MRI. He asked how my test went and then mentioned he had an MRI of his abdomen which apparently involves not breathing for long periods of time. I immediately felt guilty for thinking my test was bad!  Also, while the pain in my foot is uncomfortable, it didn't stop me from running intervals on the treadmill this afternoon. It could all definitely be worse!

Remember how I couldn't read my own x-ray? Yeah, MRIs are more confusing. Fortunately, I meet with a professional on Friday.


They do kind of look cool though...

...if you're into that kind of thing

Training plan - 24 minute run; HR zones 1-2

My plan - 30 minute intervals; 30 minute bike or 45 minute intervals and bike and/or ab workout? Depends on how crowded the gym is, the machines reset after 30 minutes at peak times

Actual - 30 minutes of intervals & 20 minutes of biking; ended up running 3.2 miles and ultimately averaged about a 9:40 min/mile; I forget how many miles on the bike. I averaged a HR of 153 (HR zone 3) and maxed out at 173 (HR zone 4, almost 5).  For my intervals I basically did the below.  I think I could have pushed it a bit harder. Next time I do intervals I might do the faster speeds for 3 minutes instead of 2 and work up to running an 8:00 mile more.


MPH                      Min/Mile             # of Minutes      Cumulative Minutes
 5.0                         12:00                 3:00                   3:00
 6.0                         10:00                 2:00                   5:00
 6.5                         9:23                   2:00                   7:00
 6.0                         10:00                 3:00                   10:00
 7.0                         8:57                   2:00                   12:00
 6.5                         9:23                   3:00                   15:00
 7.5                         8:00                   2:00                   17:00
 6.5                         9:23                   3:00                   20:00
 7.0                         8:57                   2:00                   22:00
 6.0                         10:00                 3:00                   25:00
 6.5                         9:23                   2:00                   27:00
 6.0                         10:00                 3:00                   30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment