Thursday, February 7, 2013

Making it up as I go along

As I mentioned in my training update yesterday, since starting the triathlon training program I've really slacked in the strength training department. Prior to starting the training program I had completed 2 cycles of P90X, the first following their plan pretty closely, the second subbing in my own cardio days.  I really enjoyed P90X and definitely saw the results but got bored after a while.  The month or so before starting the training program I was doing 6 minutes circuits that consisted of 3 minutes of full body strength moves, 2 minutes of plyometrics and 1 minute of abs; I usually did 6 complete circuits.

But none of that has been happening lately! I mentally committed to doing strength training today when I bailed on doing it yesterday.  As for what that strength training was going to be, I had no grand plan. This morning I sat down and came up with a routine:
Definitely not nearly as effective as spending an entire workout on chest/back, shoulder/arms & legs/back but given I don't have that kind of time, this works for the few strength training workouts I'll get in.

One of the things they harp on in P90X is writing down what you do.  It shouldn't surprise anyone, I really attached to that. I like data. I like that I can track my progress. When I first started I was doing maybe 10 real pushups/10 pushups on my knees, now I'm up to 25 "real" pushups. Not too bad since I haven't done any in a month!

***

Quick update on the crazy schedule I posted yesterday, looks like I won't be starting my new job in Baltimore until the first week in March. So February will still be a bit crazy, especially at the end but only as crazy as the calendar yesterday shows, no additional crazy to add (so far).

***

Training plan - off

My plan - strength training + cardio

Actual - just the strength training detailed above, took longer than I thought it would!

No comments:

Post a Comment