Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent might be harder than triathlon training...

Fortunately it's shorter!

Already regretting my lenten promise and it's only 9:10 on Ash Wednesday as I write this...

I decided to give up salt and sugar substitutes for the next 40 days. I almost started off Lent by breaking that promise since it I had to remember it pre-coffee!

I've been thinking about the amount of salt and sugar substitutes I use for a while. I've noticed myself using more and more of both. No part of me really wants to give up either but I decided to use lent as the swift kick I needed to follow through.

So here are the specifics:
  • No adding salt/sugar/stevia/other sugar substitutes to my coffee/food
  • Limit food with lots of salt/sugar in them but not be crazy about it (ie I already buy canned tomatoes/chicken broth with no added salt; I'll continue to use those)
  • Not going to foist my lenten promise on others (ie When I cook for others, I'll use salt or put out salt for their use only)
  • Try to be better about going to Mass on Sundays, feel extra guilty if/when I don't go 
  • Follow through with not eating meat on Ash Wednesday/Fridays

Again, today has already been tough and I'm pretty sure it's going to get worse!  No stevia in my coffee or my greek yogurt. (I eat plain, fat free greek yogurt and usually add cinnamon and stevia...and it needs it).  Tonight I'm supposed to go to Hill Country, a really great BBQ place that I love...where I won't be able to eat anything. There are no non-meat options beyond mac and cheese; even the collard greens have bacon in them!  

***

Training plan - swim 18 minutes

My plan - swim intervals for 18 minute; 100m slow/100m fast?

Actual - strongly consider not swimming...what's really is the difference between an 18 minutes swim and a 0 minute swim; whine about the amount of time it will take me to change in a swimsuit/shower/blowdry my hair/change again/etc relative to the amount of time I'll be swimming...but actually followed through and swam 36 laps in 18 minutes; swam 100m slow/100m fast

No comments:

Post a Comment