Thursday, February 21, 2013

I would hate to give the wrong impression...

I feel like if you read my blog (and weren't around me yesterday) it might sound like I "have it together." I'm currently balancing grad school, a graduate assistant position, ad hoc consulting projects and triathlon training.

Don't let the blog fool you!

I may have just tipped the balance, and not in my favor.

I'll now be interning for an insurance company based in Baltimore.  Two days a week I'm adding a 6 to 8 hour day interning, plus at least an hour drive each way.  And I added this all in during midterms and when I need to spend this weekend in New Jersey.

Yesterday was my first day at the internship and it went really well.  Naturally I have gave myself 2 hours to complete the 1 hour drive and had ample time to get breakfast and do some reading before starting the internship.  Unfortunately I was also up at 5:45 to accommodate that 2 hour drive.

But it could have been worse...
I could have been commuting into DC instead of out of it!

After the internship I rushed back to DC for class where I discovered I had a lot more work to do on a presentation due next Wednesday. Trying to fit in time for that really threw more for loop.  Finally settled on taking a train to NJ instead of driving (that's 6 to 8 hours productivity back!).

Of course booking at train at the last minute for a weekend was going to be about $300 round trip.  I was all set to pay that - I figured it was actually a small price to pay for my sanity - when I remembered, I had points! I used points to pay for one leg and then bought enough points to cover the second leg. Paying out right for the return would have been $131 but I could buy enough points for $83.  So basically, I beat Amtrak.

So I'm feeling a bit better about getting through this next week.  By 5pm next Thursday I should have 2 group projects, 1 presentation, 2 midterms and a 12 to 15 page paper behind me and be heading to Spring Break (where the only thing I have to worry about is working full time in Baltimore)!

But I'm still concerned about how I'm going to add in 60+ minute workouts on days when I'm commuting to Baltimore but I think I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it...

***
Training plan - 26 minute swim

My plan - Attempt to get 54 lengths done in 26 minutes - swam 54 lengths in 30 minutes on 2/11.

Actual - Just missed my goal of 54 lengths in 26 minutes, I was able to do 52 in 26:11 which works out to about 50m/minute so that's still faster than my swim on 2/11 which works out to about 50m in 1:06. For some reason when I was in the pool I thought my goal was 56 lengths and I reached a point where I knew that wasn't going to be possible but I might have been able to eek out 54 lengths. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment