Monday, February 11, 2013

That darn second mile

So it was no 11 miles like my cousin's run this past weekend, but I'm pretty happy with how my Sunday run turned out.  It was definitely one of those workouts where you start out hating every moment of it and not wanting to do it at all but ending up feeling great.

I set out just to complete the bare minimum of the training plan, a 40 minute run, with no particular destination or length in mind.

I ended up deciding to run for 20 minutes down Custis Trail aka the least scenic route in the area (it runs along the length of a highway).  I figured I could run for 20 minutes in one direction, turn around and run back.  When I did turn around I was starting to get into it so I picked up the pace and decided to weave back to my apartment through a residential area instead of along the highway.

Overall, I felt pretty good! And I pushed myself to run faster which I need to be better about. I ended up running 4.6 miles in about 43 minutes with an average of 9:29/mile. And this was even along a particularly hilly route.

But that darn second mile! Why do I still spend a good mile of my runs hating the sport and wanting to stop? Not only was running it miserable but I slowed down to 10:15/mile (to be fair, that mile was also pretty up hill, gaining an elevation of about 70 feet and included a category 5 hill)

***

Training plan - Recovery week! 30 minutes swim

My plan - swim freestyle for 30 minutes

Actual - Swam 54 lengths in 30 minutes, I had thought I would be able to get lengths done in 30 minutes but I was feeling pretty drained at the end. I think part of that might have been awkward timing between meals? Trying not to feel bad about it because it is the recovery week anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment