Monday, February 4, 2013

So apparently Triathlons are expensive...

...who knew!

Ok, so I did know that. But it really hit home this weekend at my training program's "Gear Clinic."  The clinic was designed to review the "need to have," "want to have," and "luxury" triathlon items.  I dragged myself out of bed for an 8am meeting on Sunday morning because I felt like I needed this information. And it was a good session, if a bit overwhelming!

I came away from the clinic with a list of things I need to buy, both immediately and sometime more in the future. Fortunately I already have some of big ticket/necessary items.

Let's review:

Swimming:

  • Swimsuit: bought 2 at Costco; $25/each
  • Goggles: Need to buy at least 1 pair, probably 2; should do it immediately but will probably suffer through with the ones that give me bruises under my eyes for a bit longer
  • Swim cap: bought on Amazon for $7
  • Wetsuit: going to really hope I don't need this
Cycling:
  • Bicycle: stolen from my mother (Thanks Mom!); considering investing in new tires? pedals?
  • Bike Helmet: also stolen
  • Bike short: Need! $??
  • Tire changing kit/spare tube/bike pump: There is some kind of kit attached to my bike, I need to investigate what it contains and hope everything is included!
  • Aero-bars/clip-in pedals/clip-in shoes: Probably not going to happen but a girl can dream
  • Protective eyewear: Need!
  • Gloves: Will need a new pair when it gets warmer
  • Bento box: will probably buy (apparently for storing GU/snacks during race); $20?
Running:
  • Running Shoes: I could use a new pair; $100 ish
  • Speed laces/Elastic shoe laces: Will probably buy; $10 ish?
  • Race belt: will probably buy; $10 ish
  • Running shorts/shirts/socks/sports bra: Can always use more!
Triathlon & General Items
  • Triathlon shorts/shirt: Will probably buy (designed to be worn for all three disciplines on race day); hope to find for less than $100 (that might be optimistic)
  • Road ID: Safety First!; $20 to $30
  • Transition bag/transition towel: will probably buy?
Oh and lets not forget the cost of the training program ($200) and race entry fees (???)!

This might be my most depressing post to date...

Training plan: swim 40 minutes

My plan: swim at least 40 minutes of freestyle without stopping

Actual: Swam 74 lengths in 40 minutes; pushed through to 80 laps in 44 minutes, probably could have pushed myself more today 

No comments:

Post a Comment